We’ve been an award winning design team for over 30 years. Projects have ranged from NYC Pied a Terres, 18th Century farm estates, ski houses, beach houses to town houses, all throughout the United States and abroad. With a full service in-house back-up team to make sure projects are executed in a timely fashion, to our own curtain (sewing) workrooms, rug installers, etc., there is no project too large or too small for us.
View examples of JD Hunter/home Interior Design Projects
Restoration & Renovation
For decades we’ve been turning pig’s ears into silk purses. Always utilizing the existing footprint of a home – we might have to relocate a kitchen or bedroom – we’ve been accommodating the desires of clients to update not only the functionality of their home but also their lifestyles.
View examples of JD Hunter/home Restoration & Renovation Projects
Few other kitchens excel for ease of cooking and entertaining as do Hunter’s. In terms of the space, kitchens, living and dining rooms need not be three separate spaces. Thus, his kitchens are open, yet divided from the other two areas by a counter. That way the cook can see out and the guests can see in.
Here are a few of his trademarks:
- No overhead cabinetry ever. Hunter feels that this design element came in the 20th century– and whenever possible–should go out with the 21st. He discovered that what can be contained in 12 linear feet of mostly inaccessible over-the-counter cabinetry, will fit in a three foot wide armoire with a deep drawer below, avoiding that low-level search.
- Sinks and prep areas always face into the sitting/dining areas so the cook can be part of the group and not be facing out a window with his or her back to the guests.
- Kitchen counters are always higher and deeper than the norm. Usually 30 inches deep, versus the usual 24 inches.
- Cabinets, walls, etc. contain massive amounts of drawers, many with pullouts for pots and pans, pantry items, linens, even double garbage drawers. Drawers, of course, are full-extension with hidden gliders.
- All lighting is zoned and rheostated to allow different moods and furnish ample light when needed. Two dishwashers and two sinks are the norm, which allows for quick and efficient cleanups.
- Whenever possible, an office/desk space is included in the kitchen area.
View examples of JDHunter/home Kitchens
Upholstery & Sewing
We have our own in-house upholstery and sewing workrooms in which we can accommodate any curtain, bedspread,etc and reupholstering needs you have at very reasonable prices.